Sunday, June 29, 2008

R2W 2008: Day 8 - PRIDE DAY IN THE BAY



Our 2nd sunday was filled with colorful decorations as we made our way to Pride Day festivities in San Francisco. As we walked towards Market street to watch the parade, people briskly passing us by with hand made costumes symbolizing their personality and uniqueness.



For many of us, Pride was a new experience and something we were curious to be a part of. Vio Stanley a R2W participant said "Even though Pride is a one day event, the injustice that the LGBT community face on a daily basis can't add up to just one day of celebration. The atmosphere was soo positive and happy that it makes me mad that only one day out of the year the LGBT community is considered publicly safe! This should be an everyday thing, with or without legal laws." and Peka Pesaleli added," It was different from what I am use to, a good different though because people were not being judged for who they are and who they love."


Yesenia Ramos reflected on her day at Pride," It was awesome! but a little too extravagant. I really liked that R2W made it part of the agenda. It was an outlet for me to question what my parents, elders and my religion imposed on me such as beliefs and their critique on society. I was able to construct my own beliefs, which meant a lot. What mostly stood out for me was that everywhere I looked I did not see one anti-queer protester! Back in Santa Cruz where I go to school, everytime the LGBT community held an event there are always Anti-Gay protesters. What I got from this new experience is that it really doesn't matter who the people are, what matters is that everyone is equal and treated as equal. And sometimes our faith doesn't grant that. And that R2W is the best...it rocks my socks! Thanks for the experience that was truly inspiring."

No comments: