Saturday, June 20, 2009

R2W 2009, Day 1 - Passing the Torch by Sina


Five years ago I was a participant for R2W. Since then, I've developed a strength for myself I never thought I would reach. I can't say that I did it all on my own though. I've created relationships with people who have become family to me. I am a graduate of R2W and CLI, and now I'm on staff at PANA. I've realized that I am R2W, that it'll never leave me but it was time for me to leave R2W and create space for new blood. The alumni and the "O G's" made history last night. It was emotional for me telling my story and watching my comrades tell theirs. Ose ended it with a song he wrote along with other alumni called "Change the World." It was heartwarming and gave me the goosebumps. Each of us blessed the participants one by one with a lei, offering words of wisdom on the journey they are about to embark. Honoring my voice and affirming who I am was powerful for me. Passing the torch to the next generation was good closure. Raising my consciousness about my life in context using liberating methodology, critical faith, was just the beginning for me. Now I must put theory to practice. I am excited for the new crew to experience what I was able to teach and learn in the program. Building community that is rooted in love, and taking a stand for something is revolutionary more than anything. I am curious to where life takes me next, as I make my move.

1 comment:

PEGGy LINA UMU-CAIS said...

AWWWWWW I LOVE IT ESPECIALLY THE NEW IDEA OF PASSIN TH TORCH...GIRL SINA SIS I AGREE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY AND R2W HAS FRAMED US TO BE WHO WE ARE AND WHERE ARE TODAY .NEVER FORGET I LOVE YOU AND YOUR MY FAMILY.....LOVE ALWAYS

THE O'G' R2W OF 2004
PEGGY LINA UMU-CAIS