Friday, October 24, 2008

Its Crystal Chen!


Crystal Chen
R2W participant ’04 & ‘08
CLI Intern ‘08
Crystal Chen is a freshman at University of Washington. Her intended major is Psychology and Finite. She is involved with Asia American Christian Fellowship and will be participating in their “Trick or Treating for Cans” for the Homeless Center.



Hey Everyone! How’s it going? The first couple of weeks post R2W, I just couldn’t wait for next year R2W! I took a lot of meaningful knowledge back with me to Seattle. However, thrown back into reality where my friends and I are getting ready to go off to college, I realized that I wasn’t implementing what I learned in R2W. Three months into my first semester in college, I’ve noticed a lot more discrimination and racial remarks blurted out by students in their casual conversations. And I think to myself, someone is hurting somewhere right now because of these serious discrimination and racial remarks that are taken lightly by those who are not aware of how negative it really is. The “Shut up and Listen” activity we did in R2W, (where we were separated into ethnic groups and spoke about what labels and racial slurs we couldn’t stand being called), has made a huge impact in my perspective of re-looking and attempting to understand people of different backgrounds. I think that R2W has helped me be more consciously aware of what’s going on the national and international level and not getting caught up in the hype.
I am a better listener than I was before because we practice listening a lot in R2W.
My friends complain about how their life is so hard because they have to attend college, attend social events and spend time with their boy friends. I find myself stepping back and analyzing every situation and being conscious of what I say and how I say it. Looking back at how I began my reflection I obviously learned and sustained some of what I learned this past summer without thinking about it.



No comments: