Thursday, January 15, 2009

CLI Reflection by Martha Moung


I didn't really want to be at CLI when I got there. I was somewhat intimidated and doubtful. But I really feel this is like a challenge to your inner self. I've come to the conclusion that it's the hardest to be real with yourself. Trying to balance out social justice, overcome our daily struggles, and live up to present-day society all at the same time is no easy task. During CLI, I did a lot of self-reflection. I continued to find so many contradictions within myself and the world around me. The highlight for me this first weekend was our visit to CYWD, Center for Young Women's Development. I was caught off guard with the passion these women spoke with and honored their time and presence. Although their experiences widely differed from mine, I made the connection through strength. Being a strong individual is hard and it's crazy that most of us might have the same feelings about life deep, down inside but ignore it and live up to what we think we're supposed to live up to in life. I hope to find the strength in my CLI journey to become an effective leader in this world and a strong individual. I may just be another face now to some people, but I know my intentions are beyond what I'm aiming for. I also loved that we stayed at the Cameron house knowing that there was so much history behind it and that movie scenes have been shot there. The other participants in CLI are many familiar faces that I still don't know much about, but I look forward to spending these valuable weekends you can't get anywhere else with them. CLI has already taught me many things about how the world works around us with oppression and I am eager to learn more. Ain't nothin' better than learning deep, the fun and interesting way, and CLI is how you do it.

No comments: